Friday, October 25, 2013

Asking for Help


A common trait among those relocating is stoicism.  Sometimes, like a new mom, we resist asking for help – thinking, “I can do this on my own.  I don’t want to show weakness.”  Often we remain quiet, hiding the pain felt around the upcoming move.  Yes, we may be receiving support from the new company, but no part of “all expenses paid” can cover emotional losses. If you are in the midst of a relocation, identify your true needs, reach out and ASK.

If you have never been comfortable with the dynamic of asking, what I am about to suggest may seem like a huge challenge.  I’m going to invite you to flex your “receiving” muscle.

As Amanda Owen shares, “those who have a difficult time receiving, tend to attract people who have trouble giving.”  Directly asking for what you need from your friends and family members is a gift not just to you, but to them as well.   People generally love to help out, but often don’t know how without your specific guidance.

For instance, consider requesting things like:

  • Can you watch the kids while my husband and I go house hunting?

  • Can you stay overnight to care for the dog while I am away?

  • Can you bring me a salad (or something healthy)  for dinner?

  • Can you promise to keep in touch by sending me cards and emails when I am in my new location?  That’s better than a going-away party.

  • Can you remind me to take good care of myself during this relocation? 

Take some time now to create a “wish list” of things you’d like to receive during this hectic time.  And don’t forget to reach out and ASK.





No comments:

Post a Comment