Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Benefits of Practicing Yoga at Home

Self-reliance is becoming the new health care. One mission I have for my clients and students is to guide them to become CEOs of their lives – to be able to maintain overall health on their own, without constant help from outside sources. 

A weekly (or more) yoga practice at a studio will provide volumes of benefits to your physical, emotional and spiritual health. Can you imagine what’s possible if you extend your practice to the point that you roll out your mat at home – daily? 

It took me many years to cultivate a home practice, and it's incredibly fulfilling. While I still love attending classes, and being in a studio does inspire me to stay longer in a pose, it's empowering to know that I don't need to rely on someone else to practice. 

My home yoga practice travels with me, and has become a necessity when I’m on the road. I practice in nearly every hotel room I am in (you’d be surprised what I find under beds!). I bring my own mat, rent one, or even buy one for next to nothing. Two long bath towels will work in a pinch.

When traveling, I drive most everywhere I can (limiting distance to nine hours or less). Whether I’m pumping gas or visiting a rest stop, forward folds and sun breaths keep me energized and allow me to feel open, not constricted, upon arrival.

(If you’re lucky enough to be flying through one of these five airports, there are dedicated yoga rooms for weary travelers.)

Here are my seven top benefits of practicing yoga at home:

1.     It transforms the feel of your home. Everyone has always said my homes have been so calm – I believe that’s because of the regular yoga done there. And at times when I’m triggered by a situation, when I choose to roll out my mat, it always leads to an improved perspective.

2.     It’s convenient. Do you ever have insomnia and find that a few spinal twists helps you get back to sleep? Yoga studios aren’t open at 2:00 a.m., while the commute to and from your bed to your yoga mat is probably 10 seconds. You don’t need to worry about parking, being late for class, or if you have any quarters for the meter.

3.     It’s free of distraction. It’s lovely to be able to silence your phone, alert the family to be quiet, close the door to your pets (or invite them in!), and be confident that the quiet will be maintained. There’s no fear of someone walking in late to class, jangling keys and rolling out their mat to interrupt your meditative state. You can focus fully on your breath and your pose.

4.     It’s economical. While I believe yoga is one of the best investments out there in terms of keeping you healthy (yoga is like health insurance in many respects), it can get costly. What if you could practice daily for free?

5.     It builds self-discipline. Setting a goal to practice at home a certain number of days, and then achieving that goal, helps exercise your self-esteem muscle.

6.     It’s private. Ever resist trying a balance pose like crow because of fear of looking foolish? At home, your cat’s the only one who can see how you look falling over. And it’s so liberating to practice in pj’s, with unwashed hair, no makeup, and no pedicure!

7.    It’s doable. One down dog and three mindful breaths can all be accomplished in five minutes or less. And yes, that’s yoga, and yes, that’s a home practice. And maybe that’s a good place to begin.

Just like it’s really important that you know how to prepare easy, nourishing foods on your own without a personal chef, it’s valuable to be able to do your own yoga practice without a teacher. This way, yoga becomes integrated into your life.


So how do you begin a home practice? If you’re not a yoga teacher, the task can seem daunting. If you want to start and don't know how, reach out, and let's talk.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Maripat - YES! I began my home yoga practice when I injured myself and needed a highly modified practice. It helped me to make a video (for my eyes only!) of only those poses that nourished my body in its then current state. I included lots of loving messages in this personal practice video. I moved at the pace that MY body desired. Then I used it - over and over and over - and loved myself back to health. Now, home yoga remains a gift for all of the reasons you have suggested.

    ReplyDelete