Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Case for Hot AND Gentle Yoga


It’s no secret that I am a huge proponent of gentle yoga. It is the style of yoga I teach, and it’s been the primary style of yoga I’ve practiced for the past several years. Yet lately, I’ve been sneaking into some hot yoga classes. Why sneaking? Maybe because I am so outspoken about how we all need to slow down, and how for the most part, I suspect it's gentle, not power yoga, that our fast-paced culture needs.

I still feel that most everyone is on overload with DOING and really struggling with time to simply BE. But there are times in life when we slow down, through conscious choice or not, and a more rigorous practice can help get our mental and physical energy flowing.

I’ve been spending much time in meditation and off electronics lately. I’ve been reading fiction. I’ve been trying to stop multi-tasking. Between clients and classes, I’ve set an intention to be more still. I’ve noticed that stillness has energizing qualities, and I’m getting more done than I had when I was trying to pack too much into life.

From this quieter and more mindful space, I noticed a yearning for increased physical movement, something that would compliment my current state of being. Though hot yoga has not called to me for years, I answered the call and have found the increased pace in the studio has allowed me to maintain the decreased pace in my life.

This may sound counterintuitive, but not when viewed through the lens of balance. We all crave equilibrium. Hectic lives with no space for deep breathing need that breathing space. Lives with much time spent in stillness thrive on an increased pace.

This experience has taught me a valuable lesson – yoga is not a one-style-per-person modality. Our lives are constantly changing, so why shouldn’t our yoga practices? When the pace of my life increases, and it will, I will likely choose a slower, gentler practice again. The key is to listen in carefully to the unique needs of your physical self, depending on your current schedule, and to not be attached to any one kind of yoga.



No comments:

Post a Comment